Treasurer Josh Mandel Celebrates National Financial Literacy Month
Press Release - Ohio Treasurer's Office
COLUMBUS – Ohio Treasurer Josh Mandel is proud to celebrate National Financial Literacy Month, a national initiative designed to highlight financial literacy and raise awareness on the importance of establishing healthy financial habits.
Treasurer Mandel is committed to promoting financial wellness across Ohio and the Treasurer’s office offers a number of tools and resources to help citizens make sound financial decisions.
“As Treasurer, my goal is to help provide a solid financial foundation for Ohioans,” said Treasurer Mandel. “I believe that by offering helpful tools and resources, Ohioans can be best prepared to plan for a successful future.”
As part of National Financial Literacy month, the Treasurer’s office will host the 2016 Personal Finance Challenge State Finals on April 21st in Columbus. Facilitated in partnership with the Ohio Council on Economic Education and the University of Cincinnati Economics Center, this event is the final competition in a statewide challenge that tests participating high school students’ knowledge of economics and personal finance.
Additionally, ongoing financial literacy initiatives offered by the Treasurer’s office include:
- ‘Financial EDge’ –The Treasurer’s Financial EDge initiative provides a suite of free resources to assist teachers in meeting state financial literacy requirements that became effective with the graduating class of 2014. This toolkit has been enhanced to focus on specific topics and content statements outlined in the Ohio Model Curricula for financial literacy, social studies and government. Financial EDge can accommodate classrooms with varying learning styles and technological capabilities by providing interactive online programming along with print-based materials. You can find dozens of these free, interactive tools at www.OhioTreasurer.gov/FinancialEDge.
- ‘Real Money. Real World.’ – The Treasurer’s office supports The Ohio State University Extension’s signature program, ‘Real Money. Real World.’ (RMRW), an interactive budget simulation that aims to prepare youth for their financial futures. RMRW provides the opportunity for students to make lifestyle and budget choices similar to those faced by 27-year-old adults.
- Teaching Strategies - Utilizing OhioCheckbook.com, teaching strategies were developed to assist educators in facilitating stimulating discussions about the cost and consequences of government spending while teaching personal financial literacy skills - perfect for social studies, financial literacy, business education and government classes.
- 'Smart Money Choices’ – The Treasurer’s Smart Money Choices provides Ohioans with tools to help make informed decisions in personal finance. Smart Money Choices offers information and resources for the general public with an improved curriculum that is now more accessible than ever to all Ohioans.
- Smart Money Choices Direct – The Treasurer’s office has partnered with financial literacy experts to bring financial literacy education direct to livings rooms across Ohio. Smart Money Choices Direct offers free online courses, such as budgeting, credit and debt management, consumer fraud protection and more.
- Smart Money Choices Speakers Bureau – Building on long-standing partnerships with agencies and experts throughout the state, the Treasurer’s office created the Smart Money Choices Speakers Bureau to connect organizations, companies and schools with financial experts and accredited speakers across Ohio.
In March 2004, the United States Senate passed a resolution officially declaring April ‘National Financial Literacy Month.’ This initiative, celebrated by financial institutions and organizations across the country, is designed to raise awareness on the importance of financial education and provide Americans with resources and knowledge needed to establish and maintain smart financial habits.
For more information on the Treasurer’s Financial Literacy initiatives, please visit our website at www.OhioTreasurer.gov.