Eligible applicants represent a wide variety of businesses within the agriculture community, including but not limited to traditional farming, aquaculture, livestock, orchards, and hydroponics. In order to qualify for the Agricultural Linked Deposit Program (Ag-LINK), applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Must be organized for profit,
- Must have headquarters and 51% of operations maintained in Ohio,
- Must obtain an operating loan or line of credit from a participating bank or Farm Credit Lender,
- Must use the loan exclusively for agricultural purposes, and
- Must agree to comply with all program and bank regulations.
The Ag-LINK Step-by-Step Process
- The agribusiness owner seeks approval for a loan or line of credit from a participating bank or Farm Credit Lender.
- The lender approves the loan or line of credit and establishes an interest rate with the agribusiness owner.
NOTE: Most Ohio banks and Farm Credit Lenders are eligible, see list of eligible depository banks. If your bank or Farm Credit Lender is not listed ask them if they participate. If they would like more information about the program or how to become an eligible or participating financial institution have them contact the Treasurer’s office (see contact info below).
- The lender submits an Ag-LINK application on behalf of the agribusiness owner to the Ohio Treasurer’s office between January and March. No paper applications are accepted for Ag-LINK. All applications must be completed by the lender and submitted online.
- The Treasury’s Department of Economic Development evaluates the applications and approves funds based on economic need.
- If the application is approved, the Ohio Treasurer’s office places an investment with the borrower’s financial institution for one year.
- The lender agrees to lower the interest rate on the participant’s loan or line of credit for one year according to the rate reduction established annually by the Ohio Treasurer’s office.
- The agribusiness owner receives the interest rate reduction beginning as early as mid-April.
- At the end of the program year as defined in the posted schedule , the rate on the loan or line of credit will return to the rate previously established with the lender. Participants may apply for the Ag-LINK program annually.
For more information about Ag-LINK or other Ohio Treasury programs, please call the Economic Development Department at 614-466-6546.